Friday, August 27, 2010

When I Grow Up....

The last few months, Mondo and I have been talking about what my professional future looks like. There have been so many things laid on the table, which we will discuss later in this post. My problem is, ok there are two main problems.

1) I am not exceptionally passionate for or good at anything. Sure there are lots of things I love, and enjoy, and I know I'm pretty good at a few things. But there is not one single thing I can say without a doubt that I could dedicate my time too. There's not that one thing, that as a kid everyone I knew would say "Oh Kelly? She'll be a _______ one day." Or "That girl Kelly is incredible at _______." Or "I wish I could be more like Kelly and ________ as perfectly as she does." I was never one of those kids who just knew what they wanted to be when they grew up. I went through every profession in the book by the time I reached High School. Vet, astronaut, teacher, actress, journalist, musician, writer, professional smart-ass. And by then I was so tired of trying to figure out what I wanted to be that I just stopped aspiring to be anything. Hence the reason I will make less than $17,000 this year.

2) I'm lazy. It's so unbelievably difficult to get myself out of bed every morning because all I want to do is sleep or lay down. Once I get moving I'm ok, but that desire to be in my pajamas, watching soap operas and eating Oreos all day never quite goes away. Midday I usually get this mini surge of energy where I think I can take on the world, and it lasts about 45 minutes or so. Then I'm right back to wishing I could curl up in one of our treatment rooms here at the office and nap for the rest of the week. I prefer sitting to standing, walking to running, sleeping to....well....anything. Somehow I'm still able to function in society as a "normal" person, but my inner being is constantly begging for the warmth of my bed, cuddled up in blankets.

All that to be said, there's this little voice in my head that keeps saying things like "You're better than this" and "You can be more than just a receptionist" and "Put that cookie down." So after I've set aside the bag of cookies, I start to wonder what life would be like if I chose a different path, starting now. Here are some of the options I've come up with.

1) School bus driver. Crappy shifts, but I'd be off in the early afternoon. I'd have weekends off, and all the major holidays too.

2) Waitress. I've never done it, but I think I could be pretty good at it. I like people (most of the time) and I like food.

3) Go back to school. Which would be awesome, if my #1 problem didn't exist. It's the reason I didn't finish school the first time. I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

4) Vocational school. Again, #1 problem exists, but at least I wouldn't be dedicating 4 years to something I may or may not want to do. Just a year or two.

5) Secret Shopper. I hear they make decent money to shop. What could possibly suck about that?

And finally....

6) Receptionist. Allright, I know that's what I'm already doing. But I like the work. And the hours. I just wish I was at a clinic where I was busier, and had the opportunity to grow a little. More responsibilites, more money, more reason to get my lazy butt out of bed in the morning.

I've always been curious as to how people came into their current profession. Was it something you always knew you'd be? Did it just happen one day out of nowhere? Are you happy? Tell me!

1 comment:

Lara said...

Hmm...oreos, pajamas, sounds like your career should be as a stay at home mom. Baa haa haa just kidding. I started college with teaching as a default because I didn't know what else to major in, and as soon as I stepped into a classroom I knew it was the right pick for me.