Thursday, April 28, 2011

Zumba!

All right you guys, I've done it. I've started taking a Zumba class that meets Mondays and Wednesdays in a back room of a church up the hill from our apartment. And let me tell you this, IT IS FUN. Now, I say that because I've got rhythm (I just googled how to spell that word correctly- I always want to spell it rythym) and I really enjoy dancing. If you can't say the same thing for yourself, my advice would be to either get over and do it anyways, or stick to a treadmill. Whatever you want to do with your life is fine. It's your life.

But here's the reality. Zumba makes me feel better. Which is not something I can say about most physical activity. Usually I just want to hop off the elliptical and go eat a box of Oreos. Not the normal size bag, but the Family size that has 5 rows of 12 cookies. And I want to dip them in whole milk, and then drink the entire glass with all the Oreo crumbly goodness in it. Yes, that's the exact same reaction I have when I get off work, finish cleaning, or am having a slightly-less-than-excellent day.

Zumba though, it makes me feel like I'm engaging every part of my body. I'm sweating and getting my heart rate up but I working my thunder thighs, keeping my gut tight, and using those fatty limbs that protrude from my torso called arms. And on top of it all, the 50 minutes goes by and we're in our cool down song, and I can't believe it's over! And for someone who can call walking down the flight of stairs to take the trash out a workout, this is a BIG DEAL.

I'm hoping to continue, at least once a week, but fingers crossed twice, and maybe my pants will start fitting again. Maybe.

No comments: